Looking for new adventures this FALL? Here is what's happening this September 2021!
Yellow, orange, red ... ready or not, the fall foliage will soon be here. Even with our favorite Halloween holiday weeks away, we can’t help but be excited by all the festivities planned with your family in mind. This fall season, we have high hopes for a back to normal life as you will find an abundance of Jersey venues and events scheduled on our online calendars and places open...from fairs, farm activities, Octoberfests to foliage walks, food trucks and fabulous fall exhibits. But of course always be safe as you venture out to these venues.
Here are 35+ great things to do with your kids this month! We've gathered ideas from all over the state, so this is a sample of what to expect, and there's many more events coming on daily. Almost all are outdoor ideas!
1. Attend one of many fall festivals this month. We've listed them all here on our calendars.
2. Apples galore...apple festivals! Pick-your-own apples and pumpkins - - find them all at these family friendly farms throughout New Jersey. Celebrate the fall and spend hours outdoors in the fields.
3. Get ready for Newark Museum of Art's big Outdoor Community Day: Fiesta Latina on Sept 18th, 10AM-5PM. Kick-off National Hispanic Heritage Month at their festive outdoor celebration! Featuring live music, dance, and a variety of hands-on activities, there’s fun for the whole family. Learn how to dance salsa, express yourself through metalwork, contribute to a Frida Kahlo-inspired community project, enjoy a traditional Ecuadorian folk dance performance, and so much more! Washington Park, Newark 973.596.6550.
4. Touch a Truck! Free events featuring construction vehicles, emergency services vehicles, helicopter, fire truck, police cars, or military vehicles for kids to explore. Here's one - Bridgewater Community Day on Sept 12, 11AM-3PM at Bridgewater Commons Mall Parking Lot featuring Music, Touch-a-Truck, Food Trucks, Inflatables, Artisans and lots of fun for entire family; and another...Mission Gratitude - Touch A Truck on Sept 12, 10AM-12PM in Randolph.
5. Octoberfests! Here's one at Morey's Piers in Wildwood and one at the farm in Long Valley!
6. Don't wait for winter, brush up on you skiing or snowboarding skills at Big Snow is open daily thru the summer with endless winter fun. Perfect on a hot summer day. Packages are available for skiing and snowboarding. Located inside the American Dream Mall in East Rutherford. Then visit this huge, amazing mall offering an indoor theme park and waterpark, a maze, mini golf, skating rink, museum, aquarium and Legoland’s Discovery Center. Enough activities to last an entire week or more!
7. Run with the Dinosaurs at Field Station: Dinosaurs! Plus Super Stars Science Events on September 18. This dinosaur exhibit is open with family fun, live shows and over 30 life-sized moving dinosaurs. Fall hours are weekends only, Sat & Sun 10AM-5PM, and will open until November. Travel 90 million years back in time and encounter Jersey’s favorite dinosaurs, a thrilling, educational and fun attraction. 3 Overpeck Park Driveway, Leonia, NJ 855.999.9010. jerseydinos.com.
8. Drive in movie night! Don't miss this one in Warren County on Sept 10th.
9. Are you up for the Mud Run Challenge? Here's one in Wildwood.
10. Attend the Edison Fall Family Spectacular on Sept 25 with over Eight Blocks of Food, Crafts, Exhibitors & A Wine & Beer Garden plus 2 stages of live music plus inflatable kiddie rides, face painting, sand art, temporary tattoos, game trailers and much more.
11. Go to the Bound Brook Street Fair and Craft Show on Sept 25, 11AM-5PM. Live Music, DJ, Dancing, Delicious foods, Performances and more! Children’s rides, Games, and More! A day of family fun with original & interesting Arts & Crafts, shopping, kid’s rides and great FOOD! Bound Brook, NJ.
12. Attend the Branchburg County Fair on Sept 25, 11AM-8:30PM for great family and Community Fun. Great Food Live Entertainment All Day Activities, Crafters, Vendors, Non-Profits, and Businesses, Firework Displays starts at 8PM Branchburg, NJ.
13. Attend the Roselle Park Art Festival on Sept 25, 12-6PM. Local, regional and professional artists, artisans and performers along with accessible and interactive arts. A celebration of the arts! 314 Chestnut Street, Roselle Park, NJ rplovesart.org
14. Pig out at the Passaic County BBQ Festival on Sept 25. It’s a celebration of all smoked and BBQ meats! Food Trucks, a mix of local NJ craft beers, wine and hard seltzers, games and entertainment. Weasel Brook Park, Westervelt Place, Clifton, NJ.
15. Watch balloons launch. Attend the Warren County Hot Air Balloons, Fun & Games Festival on Sept 24 - 26. Hot air balloons will take off each evening at 5PM.
16. See trains @ Northlandz! Did you know that Northlandz is the largest miniature wonderland in NJ or the world? Tour indoors with over 60 trains running over a mile long of 100 bridges and 400 tunnels...plus a doll museum. This 16-acre attraction is a museum of art, music and dolls too! Attend the outdoors Northlandz Car and Music Show on September 18 and see over 65 beautiful classic cars. It's in Flemington.
17. Attend the Annual Rock The Farm Festival in Seaside Heights on Sept 25, 12-10PM...a premier family friendly music festival, featuring 10 hours of world class music across two stages, with a family-friendly kid-zone, Beer & wine garden, craft vendors, food trucks, games, and the infamous foam dance party. Grant Avenue, Seaside Heights (833) 300-4673. www.rockthefarmnj
18. Visit a Zoo. New Jersey and our surrounding areas have great options when it comes to zoos and wildlife habitats. Admire all the amazing animals and enjoy a great time with the family.
19. Learn and play at one of seven fun zones at ARENA STEM in Paramus. Try a variety of STEM games and activities for all ages, from pre-school to high school. They're located in the Westfield Garden State Plaza Mall in Paramus (right next to Zara) 201.301.8144.
21. Go to the beach....and enjoy a beach side festival. How about one of these: Fall Family Festival at Sea Isle City or the 43rd Annual Festival Of The Sea at Point Pleasant Beach, or the Downbeach Seafood Festival.
22. Sleep under the stars, in a tent, by a lake or by a mountain before the weather gets too cold. Check out these great links for Camping & RV Escapades. Enjoy heading to a new destination. It’s your choice - enjoy!
23. Pack up the car and take a drive to some of these great day trip destinations. Explore Day Tripping ideas at our great state and/or neighboring states while enjoying activities the family wants to do together.
24. I Spy an Irish Festival, an Italian Festival, a Latina Festival...
27. Sign up for after school fall 2021 programs! Here's what we found...
28. Explore these Hiking Trails.
30. Attend the Delaware River Festival on Sept 24 - Oct 3. Join in the water, near the water, or from the comfort of your home during the Delaware River Festival. Many Locations. www.delawareriverfest.org
31. Paintball with the family. Explore multiple outdoor fields where you can shoot others with paint! Bring a group or join others already in play - you will be assigned a leader who will show you all you need to know. Play one field or play them all as often as you like.
32. Try a 5K or 10K run or walk. Register and participate for good health and a cause!
33. Spend a day at a Water & Amusement Park. Enjoy thrilling rides, games and loads of fun for everyone. Mountain Creek Waterpark is back with splashes and slides. Enjoy classic rides like the Colorado River Rapids & Surf Hill or take on the Legendary Canyon Cliffs or just slowly glide down the lazy river. A great get away in the mountains of Vernon, NJ.
34. Find FREE fun things to do, or at least very cheap ideas to spend the day.
35. Win free tickets! Enter2Win NJ KIDS' fun giveaway to fun attractions. We will pick a winner every month.
36. Plant bulbs in your garden for next year!
37. Decorate for Halloween!
Please know the businesses mentioned above for each activity are only examples. There are additional options available throughout New Jersey which might be closer to your home or more favorable to your likings. The above options are simply jumping points for your specific, special adventure. Please do your research thoroughly prior to selecting the next experience for you and your family.
Visit NJ KIDS' calendar for an updated list of events.