So you need a quick family getaway before the fall season. Amidst a pandemic, it’s understandable to feel fear and unease at the prospect of a family vacation. After almost months of quarantine and restrictions affecting our lives as we once knew it, it’s also understandable to feel the need to “get away”, to refresh and rejuvenate mentally and physically.
Be prepared for many restrictions, rules, and regulations along with checkpoints, at state lines and certain establishment entrances, aimed at slowing the spread of coronavirus. This doesn’t mean you need to forgo your usual summer trip. There are many nearby, family-fun destinations, serious about your safety and health, who have made drastic accommodations for a minimal-contact, maximum-enjoyment experience. Here are some getaways ideas to consider including camping escapes, rentals, helpful links and top resort ideas.
Enjoy fresh air and sleeping under the stars on your next vacation. You can select a remote campsite far away from the hustle and bustle, or a more rural option with amenities like pools, communal restrooms, cooking facilities, and more. Of course, you don’t have to use these common areas, however, should you plan to do so, make certain to inform yourself regarding their cleaning, health, and safety policies before making your reservation.
Websites to look into for camp sites & information:
Also see our article about Camping At-Home.
Now more popular than ever, these homes-on-wheels have become a most desirable vacation experience during the pandemic. It’s no wonder why, since these mobile hotel rooms allow you to go wherever you want to go while never having to unpack and repack or share communal spaces with strangers like kitchens, eating areas, and bathrooms. It is a safer way to travel within your own space, and you can ensure its cleanliness, yourself, before you “hit the road”.
RV Rentals, Sites & Information can be found here:
- Campspot.com(RV parking)
- KOA.com (camp/parking locations)
Renting a house or apartment in a specific destination of your choosing is also a good option. This type of accommodation can be comforting in the sense that you and your family will be the only ones using that entire space for the duration of your vacation. They are typically owned by an individual or small company, therefore, be certain to ask them all about their protocols to keep you and your family safe.
You can find rentals here:
Most large resorts are now open again with special cleaning procedures, and strict social distancing & mask-wearing rules. These resorts typically have an abundance of amenities such as pools, restaurants, play spaces, beach access, spas, and so on, for your ultimate enjoyment. Since these are all appealing common areas, it’s always wise to call them first to ask them about their coronavirus policies to ensure you and your family will be comfortable and safe during your time there.
A few nearby options per state which all enforce new safety protocols are:
- Crystal Springs Golf Resort
A Sussex County resort filled with luxurious amenities such as spa services, pools, golf, wine cellar tours, fishing, horseback riding, kids’ activities, and outstanding culinary experiences. 1 Wild Turkey Way, Hamburg
- Dolce Stockton Seaview Hotel & Golf Club
Famous resort known for hosting presidents and celebrities on Reeds Bay, minutes away from Atlantic City. It boasts championship golf courses, top-notch dining, and proximity to Atlantic City, which is bustling with activities such as gambling, shopping, entertainment, outdoor recreation and more. Nearby attractions: Brigantine Beach, Ocean City (20 minutes), Storybook Land. 401 S New York Rd, Galloway
- Icona Diamond Beach – 9701 Atlantic Avenue, Wildwood Crest
Private beach resort with a splash pool and activities for kids, full heated pool, beach bar, quality dining and live music. Many rooms also have their own kitchen and cookware.
- The Crusader Oceanfront Family Resort – 6101 Ocean Avenue, Wildwood Crest
Oceanfront family resort, steps away from the beach offering a heated children’s swimming pool, an additional Olympic sized pool, an onsite restaurant, and the comforts of a home-away-from-home.
- Wave Resort - Upscale beach front resort with incredible views and amenities including designated play-areas for kids, dining, fitness rooms and relaxing spa services. Located adjacent to Pier Village where you’ll find 30 restaurants, specialty shops and fun. Enjoy beach front views, ride the carousel, walk the boardwalk and special festivals and events year round. There’s plenty to see and do. 110 Ocean Ave, Long Branch, NJ
- High Peaks Resort, Lake Placid - Lakefront, pet-friendly, family resort with waterfront pool, a spa & salon, dining, and onsite fitness facilities, plus an assortment of fabulous outdoor Adirondack activities like nature hikes, kayaking, paddle-boating, and water-yoga to name a few. 2384 Saranac Ave, Lake Placid, NY
- Kartrite Resort & Indoor Waterpark, Monticello - Fun, family favorite with many kids’ activities including a grand, indoor waterpark, arcades, unique dining experiences, family-friendly spa services, nature hikes, backyard movies, games and more. 555 Resorts World Drive, Monticello, NY
- Mohonk Mountain House, New Paltz - Mountain getaway resembling a castle with outstanding family amenities. Enjoy their award-winning spa, or miles of hiking trails and lake activities like kayaking or fly fishing. Other activities include golf, horseback riding, archery, swimming, tennis, as well as kids and teens’ activity programming. 1000 Mountain Rest Road, New Paltz, NY
- Pine Ridge Dude Ranch - An all inclusive vacation destination featuring horseback riding, outdoor & indoor activities, indoor heated pool with double flume waterslides, and all inclusive activities such as archery, bounce pillow, rockwall, petting zoo, fishing, sports, private lake, mini golf and more. Check out their last week of summer special and Labor Day Weekend special. 30 Cherrytown Rd, Kerhonkson, NY
- Rocking Horse Ranch - Lakeside horse ranch with hundreds of family-friendly activities such as horseback-riding, of course, pools, bungee jumping and rock climbing, kayaking, paddle boats, and water slides, spray fountains, lake fishing and outstanding Culinary Institute of America dining. 600 State Route 44/55, Highland, NY
- Villa Roma Resort - Activities abound here with no chance of boredom at all. Enjoy pools, hot tubs and saunas, spa services, nightlife, dining and shopping, kids’ activities and games, archery, bumper boats, horseback riding, bowling, go-carts and a zipline, plus courtesy transportation to the nearby Catskills. Winter activities include snow tubing, skiing, and sledding as well. 356 Villa Roma Road, Callicoon, NY
- Great Wolf Lodge - Poconos family resort with huge indoor waterpark playgrounds, magic shows, Build-a-Bear Workshops, and fabulous dining and shopping. Every day is a new adventure with planned games and activities for kids like PJ Parties, shows and story times. 1 Great Wolf Drive, Scotrun, PA
- Hershey Park Resorts - Reserve a stay at either The Hotel Hershey, Hershey Lodge or Hershey Park Camping Resort to enjoy VIP benefits at the Hershey Amusement Park with guaranteed admission, free parking and early access, plus additional exclusive access and savings at the Boardwalk Waterpark, ZooAmerica and Chocolatetown. Check out their most popular summer package good until end of September, Kids Stay, Play & Eat FREE package. 100 W. Hersheypark Drive, Hershey, PA
- Kalahari Resort - The family will have a blast here at America’s largest indoor waterpark with huge slides and play areas. In addition, enjoy Laser Tag, mini-bowling, black-light mini golf, escape rooms and the 7D Motion Theatre or their outdoor, Gorilla Grove Treetop Zipline Adventure, their relaxing spa services, shopping, and signature dining options. If you’re looking for a place with things to do every minute of the day, you’ve found it here. 250 Kalahari Blvd, Pocono Manor, PA
- Skytop Lodge - Large 5,500acre family resort boasting a great escape back to nature. This ultimate outdoor playground offers activities like golf, lawn bowling, hiking, axe throwing, treetop adventure courses, trap and rifle shooting lessons, as well as a zipline, rock climbing, fishing, kayaking, tennis, lawn games, paintball, swimming and more. Spa services and dining are also available which will be much appreciated after all those activities. 1 Skytop Lodge Rd, Skytop, PA
- Woodloch Pines Resort - Family resort in the heart of the Poconos Mountains with family-friendly activities galore. Choose from scavenger hunts, cooking wars, athletic contests, an indoor splash zone, climbing walls, go carts, pools, bumper cars, water sports, outdoor activities and so much more. 731 Welcome Lake Rd, Hawley, PA
As you can see, a family vacation is possible no matter your coronavirus comfort level. Enjoy some time off. Reconnect with the family and feel free to share with us other getaway ideas. Take advantage of the lower gas prices and discounted room rates now. Treat your family to a great “time-away”; however, to ensure everyone’s safety, please abide by all social distancing and mask wearing rules and wash your hands often. Also, please always contact the destination for a reservation and any questions you may have.