Need to get out of the house? Here's are ever evolving bucket list of ideas.
Looking for something fun to do with the whole family? See below for a NJ Kids compilation list of what’s open, reopened, and things to do this season. Visit each website for social distancing and ticket schedules. These are all in-person activities that kids and adults can participate in throughout New Jersey and surrounding areas.
Here are 45 places to go this Fall ... many outdoor and in-person fun!
1. Play safely at Urban Air Trampoline & Adventure Park. With enhanced cleaning and safety procedures, explore their Open Play and ask about their Learn & Fly program. Receive 30% off an Ultimate Pass for a limited time (just mention ad above). 3 Locations: Ryders Crossing Shopping Center, 396 Ryders Lane, Milltown NJ; 1600 Saint Georges Avenue, Avenel NJ; and 69 Wesley Street, South Hackensack NJ. Call 201-212-6454 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Take Statue Cruises to Statue of Liberty Grounds & Ellis Island, departures available from either NJ or NYC sides. Ticket provides access to the grounds of the Statue of Liberty National Monument and Ellis Island Immigration Museum (audio tours included). Reserve tickets online.
3. Smell the flowers at the New York Botanical Garden (Bronx NY). Now open with safety in mind! Buy your tickets online. Walk through outdoor & indoor nature trails, gardens, blooming flowers and more!
4. Welcome back to the Zoo! See animals live and in-person at the Bronx Zoo. Gorillas, tigers, baboons, bison, birds, reptiles, sea lions and more! All visitors must buy a specific date ticket and follow COVID-19 rules, wear face masks, and social distancing.
5. Ski Indoors at Big SNOW American Dream Mall. Now open daily with COVID-19 safety protocols, go skiing and snowboarding indoors in nearby East Rutherford NJ. Why wait, everyday is a snow day so BOOK your Snow Day now.
6. Find things to do that are Free. Link to our list of Free things to do and places to go.
7. FunTime Junction is back open...and features an all new Krazy Kars activity for children 18 months - 6 yrs. Kids can steer their own bumper cars or parents can use a remote control to drive them! Climb their multi-level softplay climbscape and jump pillow, try your luck at the upgraded FunCade and prize redemption center, go "vest-less" in laser tag, take a helicopter carousel ride, wander around the toddler playground or FunTime Freddy’s FunHouse, play the Beam floor projection game, go on a black light Scanner Treasure Hunt and LiteZilla (giant Lite Brite). Pre-register for one of our 90-minute sessions.
9. Visit the galleries at the museums as more are reopening. View art and history up-close. Old Barracks Museum, Montclair Museum, NJ Visual Arts Center, The Newark Museum of Art, Battleship NJ are reopened.
10. Go hiking! Pick a trail - See our list The Great Outdoors - Guide to parks, nature, trails and gardens.
11. Take a weekend excursion. We've listed resorts that reopened and are offering lots of family friendly things to do.
12. Go horseback riding at Seaton Hackney Stables in Morristown NJ for the day.
13. Go to a local NJ or NY farm.
14. Check out the upcoming Family Days and Special Community Day hosted by The Newark Museum of Art, virtual fun days for the entire family.
15. Observe wildlife at the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge. Hike on easy boardwalk trails to get a close up view of wildlife.
16. Enjoy family fun at Storybook Land in Egg Harbor Township NJ. Timeless childhood rides and attractions based on nursery rhymes. Coronavirus policies followed with face masks required. Reservations strongly suggested, buy tickets online.
18. Color at Crayola Experience (Easton, PA) - explore the magic of colors at Crayola - red, blue, green, yellow and more! A fun day trip and short drive from NJ. Buy your tickets now. Open Wednesdays to Sundays with guest protocols in place.
19. Learn military history at the Old Barracks Museum. Open for in-person tours. Popular military history museum depicting 1758 French and Indian War military barracks. Galleries, exhibits, photos, and more! Advance tickets required. Buy online here, time slots with 2 hour limit to visit museum.
20. Play arcade games at Chuck E. Cheese. Most NJ locations are re-opened for in-person family games, fun, and parties with health & safety guidelines in place.
21. Fascinating prison tours at Eastern State Penitentiary (Philadelphia, PA). Currently open for in-person prison tours Friday through Sunday. All tickets must be purchased in advance. Explore one-way paths that feature audio stops and exhibits. All Philadelphia and PA health guidelines will be followed.
22. Run around the Grounds of Sculpture, a perfect day trip outing for family. Scavenger hunt for the 270 sculptures that are positioned among the exotic trees and flowers on 42 acres. Buy timed admission tickets online only (availability time on a 2 week basis).
23. Explore the National Park Service as part of the NPS and the great outdoors, discover hiking trails and fantastic museums in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania.
24. Make Glass Keepsakes at Glassworks Studios (Morristown NJ). In-person appointment only, make your own fused glass creations. At 25% capacity, each guest group has the studio to themselves with an instructor. Safety protocols strictly followed.
25. Go to a dude ranch for the weekend at Pine Ridge Dude Ranch. Great Fall fun with lots of outdoor activities.
26. Kids fun & games are back at iPlay America in Freehold NJ, with cleaning and sanitation policies and procedures. Arcade games, laser tag, amusement rides, and speedway are open. Outdoor and indoor dining seating available.
27. Squeeze in a day trip to Sesame Place amusement park to experience Elmo, Big Bird and all your favorite Sesame Street characters. Face mask covering strictly enforced. Save over 40% on single tickets now.
28. Take a family getaway to these nearby destinations. Sneak in a camping trip or go resort style.
29. Take a walk along Dingmans Falls Boardwalk (about 1.5 mile long) to view Dingmans Falls, located in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. A nice outdoor day trip.
30. Explore BRICKLIVE Ocean Center at DaVinci Science Center (Allentown PA), an entirely outdoor, socially distanced, contact free special exhibition featuring 25 awe-inspiring sculptures of marine life, including life-sized sharks, dolphins, seals and sea lions built from 1MM interlocking construction toy bricks.
31. Say hi to the animals at Turtle Back Zoo. Reserve for timed admissions.
32. Go biking along the many bike trails throughout New Jersey.
33. Wave to the fish at the Camden Aquarium. Book your next visit, reservations required and can be made 45 days in advance. NJ COVID-19 rules apply to all guests with daily capacity, face mask requirements, and more.
35. Stay on the beach as long as possible before it's too cold. It makes a perfect fall day trip.
36. Go on a long weekend excursion. Here are some ideas in PA, CT or NY with both indoor and outdoor attractions.
37. Eat chocolate at Hershey's Chocolate World. Take a ride and see how they make it! Reserve your FREE timed ticket. 4D movie, Hershey Trolley Works, Hershey's Chocolate Tour Ride, and create your own candy bar are reopened.
38. 500 acre outdoor art museum experience at Storm King Art Center, located in the town of Cornwall NY. Seasonal exhibits with large scale sculptures, discover art, nature, and people. Reserve timed advance online tickets here.
39. Visit Paterson Great Falls National Historical Park (part of National Park Service), grounds are open for you and the kids to see the great falls of the Passaic River. The falls is located in Paterson NJ. Great photo op.
40. Walk around the malls, many are reopened for business. Shop back to school since for many, in-person school will start a bit later.
41. Dine out and help the restaurants. Safe dining outdoors and indoors, or takeout.
42. Go for a fall drive and experience the colorful foliage.
43. Discover science, space, and technology at Liberty Science Center in Jersey City NJ. Now open on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays with safety protocols in place. Buy tickets online in advance. New attraction: Boom Time Show - watch controlled liquid nitrogen explosions (watermelons, pumpkins, etc).
44. Register for NJ KIDS' Virtual Camp Fair scheduled for February 21, 2021.
45. Visit a Japanese themed Garden. Deep Cut Gardens offers free family activities year round.