- If you purchase a live Christmas tree, make sure to remove dead pine needles frequently and to water daily. Use a wide base stand - this will keep the tree more stable and prevent it from falling over.
- If you have an artificial tree, check to see if it is labeled, certified or identified by the manufacturer as fire-retardant.
- Children are fascinated by candles - so don't forget to push the menorah and Kwanzaa Kinara far back on the counter and place any decorative candles on high shelves. Keep candles away from trees and any drapery.
- Make sure the tree isn't blocking any exits - and it's always a good time to review exit routes with our children in case of a fire.
- Replace any decorative bulbs that are broken or shattered - and always turn off the lights when you leave the house or go to bed.
- Make sure you only use labelled indoor lights on an inside tree.
- Candy canes and other holiday goodies can be choking hazards - keep them out of reach of young children and off the tree.
- Keep mistletoe and holly out of reach - the berries can be very poisonous
- Don't forget to open the flue on the fireplace - the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning increases dramatically during winter months
- Keep all alcoholic beverages out of reach - kids don't know the difference and little ones, especially, will try anything.
So, from our family at NJ Kids to yours - stay safe and enjoy the holiday season. (Now back to fun! Scroll down and you'll get a sampling of what's happening this week, plus other great tips and ideas!)
The NJ KIDS Team