Must-Do Activities for Families
Cape May, a seaside town in New Jersey, is a popular vacation destination for families who want to experience the charm of a historic beach town. Founded in 1620, Cape May boasts a rich history and Victorian architecture that adds to its charm. Visitors can indulge in various activities, from beach fun to historical tours, and savor delicious food options. If you're planning a family-friendly vacation, Cape May is the ideal place to go.
Here are the top 11 things to do while in Cape May:
1. Spend Time at the Beach: Cape May has some of the most beautiful beaches on the East Coast. With an expansive coastline, beach lovers can explore different options such as Higbee Beach, Sunset Beach, and Poverty Beach. Families can engage in beach activities or simply relax and soak up the sun.
2. Climb the Cape May Lighthouse: A landmark built in 1859, the Cape May Lighthouse offers stunning views of the town and ocean. Kids will enjoy climbing the 199 steps to the top, while adults will appreciate the rich history behind this iconic site.
3. Explore the Cape May Zoo: The Cape May County Park and Zoo house over 550 animals, making it a must-visit destination for families. From big cats to primates, visitors can indulge in an unforgettable animal encounter. The zoo also offers educational programs, a playground, and a train ride.
4. Take a Trolley Tour: A trolley tour is an excellent way to explore Cape May's historic district. Visitors can ride through the town's well-preserved Victorian buildings, including the Emlen Physick Estate and the Cape May Point Lighthouse.
5. Go Whale Watching: Cape May is one of the best East Coast spots for whale watching. Families can hop on a boat tour and spot dolphins, humpback whales, and other marine life. This educational and exciting experience is not to be missed.
6. Take a Scenic Walk Along the Promenade which runs parallel to Beach Avenue. It’s a free access to the 2 mile stretch which will take you past Cape May’s beautiful beaches giving you unparalleled ocean views. Feel free to bike, roller skate before 10am during summer season. There are plenty of benches.
7. Watch Movies On the Beach: Thurs- days in July and August, bring a beach chair and a blanket, and enjoy free movies on the beach. See the entire movie lineup on capemay.com.
8. Spend time at Cape May Point State Park, which is home to the Lighthouse. On 244-acres, it is an ideal location for birding, picnics, painting, photography habitat exploration, and hiking trails (3 trails range from .5 to 2 miles in length). Leashed pets are allowed.
9. Experience Historic Cold Spring Village: Go back to 1789 - 1840, and bring to life day-to-day activities of villagers who live in South Jersey. You’ll find interactive activities and special events throughout the year.
10. Visit a Sculpture Garden: The Sperlak Gallery and Sculpture Gardens is a popular “Art and Nature” destination. You’ll find a working farm, studio, and nature sanctuary too. From painting, photography and music workshops, to the occasional private concert, movie nights, lectures and celestial obser- vance events, (and now tours) you have many ways to enjoy this attraction. Only 20 minutes from Cape May and free parking.
11. Explore Sunset Beach and the SS Atlantic: You’ll find lots of activities here, from miniature golf, shopping, and the SS Atlantic, an experimental concrete ship that ran aground during a storm in 1926.
In addition to these exciting activities, Cape May offers a wide range of family-friendly restaurants, shopping, and entertainment options. With its picturesque streets and stunning beaches, Cape May is an excellent vacation destination for families who want to create lasting memories and experience a slice of American history.
Read more NJ Kids Things to Do