New Jersey Youth Chorus
New Jersey Youth Chorus teaches children through the power of music.
Providing voice, singing, chorus lessons, classes & education
The New Jersey Youth Chorus, NJYC is home to choristers in grades 3-12 from various towns throughout northern and central New Jersey. They rehearse weekly on Monday afternoon and evenings at the Chatham United Methodist Church, located in Chatham, NJ. Their program begins in the fall school year, September and runs through May, with touring groups rehearsing through June. NJYC's calendar varies from season to season, but each ensemble can expect a mix of performance opportunities, workshops, festivals, collaborations, community outreach, social gatherings, and service events.
They strive to provide choristers with one of a kind experiences — opportunities such as performing alongside musical titans Queen Latifah, The Chieftans, Barry Manilow, Ronan Tynan, Celtic Tenors, NJ Symphony Orchestra, and Canadian Brass; working with renowned clinicians and composers like Dr. Rollo Dilworth, Zimfira Poloz, Dr. Jerry Blackstone, and Randall Stroope; and performing in spectacular venues like the White House, Carnegie Hall, and on live TV during the Superbowl and the Today Show.
While each season's performance opportunities are unique, some traditions stand the test of time. These are the true traditions of community and connection that bring choristers together as part of the NJYC family. Here are some events:
- NJYC's annual Winter and Spring Concerts have been a celebration of the hard work and dedication of our choristers since our first concert in December of 1992.
- Welcome Day, an organization-wide day of rehearsal, learning, and connection for our choristers and their families.
- NJYC's Kids for Kids program ties back to our commitment to teaching the whole child, with a focus on supporting non-profits serving children in need in our communities.
- Performances benefitted organizations such as Good Grief, Team Campbell, and The Brooke Healey Foundation
- Travel opportunities broaden our chorister's perspectives through optional international and domestic tours and festivals. NJYC has traveled internationally to destinations such as England, Wales, Austria, Hungary, Canada, Ireland, Italy, Czech Republic, Germany, and Poland.
- Domestically, the choirs have traveled to locations such as Hawaii, Disney World, Chicago, Denver, Jacksonville, Washington DC, Boston, Philadelphia, and New York City, and have performed in prestigious venues such as at Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, Radio City Music Hall, The Kennedy Center for the Arts, NJPAC and NJ State Theater.
- Retreats and potluck dinners, meeting new friends during rehearsal breaks, long talks on bus rides, singing with alumni each spring, cheering each other on from the balcony.
Auditions for the upcoming season will be held digitally through the summer. Call us at 973.998.5670 or visit our website njyouthchorus.org or complete an audition application.