Montessori of East Rutherford
About Our School
The Montessori School of East Rutherford has been providing young children with a creative, nurturing and peaceful educational environment, while encouraging individuality and striving to build a foundation of strong academic skills while fostering a love for learning. For over 34 years, they have been recognized by the community for excellence in education and quality care. The directors have been focused on our programs by having only one location in East Rutherford; founded in 1986 by a family whose history with the Montessori method goes back to the early 1900’s when Montessori was first introduced to the world.
- The Directors and Teachers are dedicated to upholding, enhancing and continuing the philosophy of this wonderful program.
- The program enrolls children of ages 1-6 years. Toddlers (1-2), Preschool (2-4), Pre-K (4-5), and Kindergarten (5-6)
- The classrooms are well equipped with Montessori materials, puzzles, activities, listening centers, library, and large outdoor play areas.
- Program includes weekly Dance and Music classes, taught by professional teachers.
- The Annual Spring Dance Recital and Graduation Ceremony, gives children an opportunity for on stage performances.
- Field trips, both in school and out of school, enhance the learning process. Parents are always encouraged to participate. We offer enrichment and extracurricular activities throughout the year.
- Parents are provided with progress reports, and Parent-Teacher conferences are encouraged during the school year. Toddlers receive a daily report.
- Our staff consists of caring and knowledgeable Teachers and Assistants, many of whom have had over 15-20 years of teaching experience at our school
Highlights of the Montessori environment at our School
- Individualized teaching, where each child is considered unique.
- Developing the child’s potentials- Social, Emotional & Academic.
- The child is in a calm, non-stressful, non-competitive environment.
- The child has freedom to choose activities, with limits.
- The child becomes more self-confident, creative and motivated.
- Development of self-discipline, peace and satisfaction.
- The prepared environment is unique to the Montessori classroom
- Montessori materials are hands on activities that are self-correcting.
- Practical life activities give the child confidence to do everyday activities.
- Sensorial materials develop the five senses, coordination and motor skills.
The Montessori method has a threefold emphasis: the Child, the Environment, the Directress.
The Child is encouraged to grow at his own pace and to move from one activity to the next freely. The Environment is uniquely prepared to allow the child to 'learn through doing'. The classroom is designed to encourage creative activity, develop the senses, and increase motor coordination and intellectual activity. The Directress, or teacher, is the facilitator of learning. She directs the children when they require it, and assists the child in the learning process.
Dr. Maria Montessori was the founder of the Montessori Method of education. In the 1800’s she studied the growth and development of children and made scientific observations of their behavior. She then set up a method by which children can grow to their utmost potential. Her method is based on children 'as they are', and not as the adult sees them to be. The system is designed to give the child a stimulatingg and engaging environment, with the use of specially made materials, to enhance the child's learning at each specific period of growth.