Somerville Fire Museum
Housing the earliest known fire company of which there is any record, the Somerville Fire Museum was originally called Washington Fire Company No. 1. Records show the company was organized in 1835, and was home to a goose neck engine in a frame building which stood on what is now the southeast corner of the Court House yard. In 1973 the Somerville Board of Commissioners purchased a steam fire engine and Somerville Steam Fire Engine Company No. 1 was born. The present Engine Company No. 1, the first company of today's department, was formed in 1878. The museum is open on Saturdays from 10am-12pm or by appointment.