Rockingham Historic Site
The headquarters of General Washington for three months in 1783 while he attended sessions of the Continental Congress in Princeton. Washington wrote his "Farewell Orders to the Armies of the United States" form this house. John Harrison, the owner of a gristmill, constructed the earliest section of the house between 1702 and 1710. Later additions were made in the 1760s by John Barrien, a prosperous farmer and New Jersey Superior Court Justice. Rockingham has been owned by the State of New Jersey since 1935. The site maintains a fine collection of 18 century furnishings and a Colonial kitchen garden. Admission to the house is by guided tour only.