St. Joseph's School for the Blind
St. Joseph’s School for the Blind is committed to the educational, psychological, social and physical development of persons with special needs in an environment of caring, acceptance and respect for each individual’s rights and dignity.
Since 1891, St. Joseph’s School for the Blind has been providing specialized services to individuals with visual impairments across New Jersey. Founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace, the school is comprised of several programs, such as: Early Intervention, In District Support Services, School for the Blind, and Adult Services.
St. Joseph’s Home for the Blind first opened in a rented house in Jersey City by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace.
In 1921 the Home split into St. Joseph’s School for the Blind to accommodate the growing number of children while the Home continued serving only adults. In 1929 the Sisters moved the School to 253 Baldwin Avenue, Jersey City to meet the increased enrollment and expand their programs.
In 1960, St. Joseph's School for the Blind began accepting students who were blind/visually impaired with multiple disabilities as an answer to a need for services not provided by any other agency at that time.
Further growth prompted the creation of a new residential facility and in 1996, Concordia House opened to students to further develop their independent living skills in a residential setting.
St. Joseph's School for the Blind remained at Baldwin Avenue until February 2007 when it moved to its new 75,000 sq. ft. state-of-the-art facility at 761 Summit Avenue, Jersey City.