Here are some fun and simple ideas in case you had no plans at the moment. All these are fun and great to do with the kids. (Of course, NJ Kids have loads of events and places to go and things to do in our calendars).
1. Decorate the house for Halloween!!! Forget the cleaning. Put up the cobwebs, take out the skeletons, line up the lawn with silly halloween signs. Why not make your own signs?
2. Gardening! Prep your garden for the winter. Great time to plant the bulbs and trees, and cut down the peonies and other overgrown bushes. The garden centers are beaming with colorful mums and fall decorations. The kids can help too! While you’re at the garden center, check out their halloween line up. Many garden centers turn into an amusement park for children with rides and food and activities for the kids.
3. Plan out what you want to be for Halloween? Look through magazines, the web and dream up your costume! Then explore the Halloween stores that are popping up everywhere. Such a thrill!
4. Definitely visit State Fair superstore (229 Main St, Belleville, 973.450-1070). The store is a huge wonderland for children of all ages. It’s worth the trip.
5. Visit the farms for apple picking, pumpkin picking and more. Get lost in the corn mazes. Take a hay ride!
6. Go to a street festival. Every weekend, you’ll find all sorts of fairs and festivals.
7. Plan out some entertainment this fall. Many shows and attractions are coming our way. Did you see Cirque du Soleil's Zarkana @ Radio City Music Hall yet? It’s only thru October 8th. An acrobatic rock opera that blends circus arts with the surreal to create a world where physical virtuosity rubs shoulders with the strange.
8. The Zoos have decked out for Halloween too! Great time to go visit the animals.
9. Dust off the bikes and go on a tour with your child. This is best the time to enjoy to go hiking and biking and enjoy the colorful fall foliage! New Jersey has many parks with hiking and biking trails. Our favorite trails are online.
10. Shop at the farmers markets while they are still here. Can’t beat the fresh produce! We have all the links and locations right online.
Most important, spend quality time with the kids! I just love this time of the year!